Ulmaria

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Suggestions > Insurance

Pots Talos

Doesn't being able to insure items defeat the purpose of this quote

"We have designed it to be a true sand box type game very similar, but perhaps even more hardcore than the original Ultima Online that some may remember from 1997-1998 when you were in a lawless world governed by players."

Just curious is all (>^_^)>

--

Co-Founder of Horizon's End
Lead Designer of The Great Gaias

November 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner

well the enhancement system takes a lot of money.  so if you have something you invested millions into i think you should have the option of getting it insured. you can't insure gold or regs so it's not that bad. you also get money from killing someone, just certain things would be way too painful to lose.

--

November 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Huma

I would cry if i lost my armor. And maybe ragequit for a day :P

November 18, 2012 at 1:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pots Talos

I understand where you guys are coming from. I would think that it would be better to lower enhancment costs and get rid of insurance. Losing regs and gold is all well and good but every sandbox game needs  a good money drain or the players will just become so rich so fast that everything else becomes pointless. Losing expensive gear is the perfect money drain, losing regs that cost nearly nothing isn't.

--

November 18, 2012 at 2:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner
Right I'm with you on the money drain but how about raising I.surance cost instead?
--

November 18, 2012 at 8:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner
All that would happen if I lowered it is it would eliminate that gap between a veteran player and a newbie. The high level and high stats equipment shows that the player earned it. No insurance may have worked on osi back in the day but that's only because not much was required to play. You would rarely see someone take out their supremely accurate vanq Hally except for server wars.
--

November 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner
Ok so upon next restart it will be 2k per insured item
--

November 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aluvard

Have you fix the res fountain yet?

November 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Huma

With it being 2k per insured item, that makes PKing players even more worthwhile too doesn't it?

November 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner
It does
--

November 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Reece

Tehe

--

GrandMaster Annoyance

November 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pots Talos

Well increasing insurance costs really won't matter to a player who can afford to deck themselves out anyway.
I just started a day ago and can make 5k in 5min. The only GM's I have are in Anatomy and Eval.
So lets assume that once I get GM magery and weapon skills I can most likely triple (if not more) what I make currently.

How you meantioned people only taking out their vanqs during server wars is because they had no chance of losing the item but that is also because of how hard it would be to replace. Now if you made enchanting cheaper but you lose the item people can still afford to lose it so they won't just horde it in the bank but it can still be lost so we get the money drain.

--

November 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Polaris
Administrator

Not true, the item isnt 'lost'. Its 'found' by another. That doesnt take gold out of the system, merely passes it around. Perhaps even at 2k insurance the cost isnt high enough, but it still costs roughly 20k a death, assuming you insure your five armor pieces, three jewelry, weapon, and shield. Ignoring any potential insured items in your inventory. (Havent made it to bank yet?)

--

November 18, 2012 at 7:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pots Talos

So your saying that its better for gear to be completely safe and horded? At least with a no insurance system it will freely move about the world instead of staying in one place always.

--

November 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aluvard

Well with AoS rule set there's more PvE then PvP so there's players that do not want to PvP but prefer farming and making things. All I'm saying is increasing the insurance isn't going to do anything I can farm 30k in 5 mins. I do agree with pots in getting rid of insurance and lowering enchanting cost by alot. This would make PvP and PvE aspects of the game more risky and the said player has a chance of losing their epic gear. 

Also not many people horde gear considering you can't get epic gear anymore since enhancement is very limited now. So you theory is kinda shot in ways. 

November 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pots Talos

There have always been more people who want to PvE and craft hence the whole introduction of Felucca/Trammel.
The key is to not forget the PvPer as so many other games have.
Full loot is what makes UO special, by taking that away you take away the aspect that makes PvP in UO important.

--

November 18, 2012 at 8:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Adam
Site Owner
Ok so 30th is easy to get but what if you die repeatedly. It adds up. The killer still gets half the insurance Money. So say u put up your gear for 30th insurance the killer gets 15k for killing you. We can raise the cost so not everyone would insure everything because all that would happen is the fully enhanced gear would be all over the place. Pots, I'm a pro pk/thief so I hear what you're saying but it would really make the enhancement system a lot less special.
--

November 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pots Talos

See really insurance is all about protecting peoples feelings. Which I understand but at the same time, loss is a part of life. PKing someone and getting a percentage of money just means you are going to use that money for your own enchanted gear and/or insurance so does it really make a difference if the PK is enchanting new gear or the player who lost gear is enchanting new gear?

--

November 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lamby

What if you make it so insured items have a certain or random percentage chance to drop or be saved after a kill? Like once you die your enchanted plate leggings have a 50% chance of staying with you upon resurrection.

November 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pots Talos

Lamby that was the system in Lineage 2 for awhile before they stopped item drops on blue players. Now that was hardcore since that type of gear at end game would be like playing WoW and dropping a piece of raid gear when dieing in PvP.
No gear in UO takes weeks to obtain once you are strong enough to kill anything. This is why the insurance system is just a way to stop people from having their feelings hurt.
Just like near the start of this thread someone wrote "I would cry if i lost my armor. And maybe ragequit for a day"

--

November 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.